Buy my art

Monday, February 27, 2012

Scapbooks and genealogy


1930-1940

This era was during the Great Depression and during that time both my mom and my dad were born. My dad's mother died during this time giving birth to his brother and his father could not support the family so he went back into the Navy.  My dad and his brother were sent to an orphanage and his sister was sent to live with the grandma.
He had lots of stories about how the care takers were so mean and how they would be locked the basement and fed left over food.  He even ran away a few times which he was sent to a boys school. As you can see there were lots of stories but I never wrote down dates or address while my dad was still alive. Now I have many questions while I am scanning family pictures. (with my Flip-Pal of coarse.)

I intend to make a scrapbook when I am done but in the mean time I found out that the 1940 census will be released free to the public on April 2, 2012.  So I will be doing some genealogy searching too.

Here are the website to visit if you are interested:

‎1940census.archives.gov
The 1940 Census is an official web site of the U.S. Government, administered by the National Archives and Records Administration in partnership with Archives.com

And the 1930 Census is already released.
1930cenus.archives.gov

If you want to know where and how to begin your research, you can go to:
Also you can click on the Ancestory.com box in the right column and start your own genealogy.

I have all sorts of ideas of combining the scrapbook and genealogy.

Have fun searching!!

No comments: